Wednesday 4 January 2012

Climb to the Summit

For the past 15 minutes, I've been staring at my monitor, mentally juggling how I plan to attend Game Summit next month. Will I go solely as an attendee covering the con for Roleplayer's Chronicle or will I step it up a notch and bring a little Killshot with me?

While I could cough up the $90 to attend  for the entire weekend, find a place to stay, all that, my original goal was to take advantage of the Game Designer's Lab (a new addition this year) and interview as many of them as I could. Research, my goal was research. Grafting myself to a table could jeopardize that.

There's also the matter of spending the next month rushing to get a table ready while I'm also working on getting Kickstarter funding started (application's sent, just waiting to hear back), get Broken Ruler's website up and going, and continuing to build up Killshot through various revisions and the like.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying the importance of cons in promoting work. Two years ago, I went during my Emerald Press days to promote/playtest EONS #1: The Endless Vault and it was a blast. The difference here is starting out too public with improperly tested rules can do more harm than good. Hence the massive spotlight something like Kickstarter can help out with - more playtesters!

So why can't I make up my mind? Because the kid in me loves the frosting.

2 comments:

  1. Go as an attendee. Screw the table. Trust me. I know that of which I speak. Besides, you're right; stuck to a counter you can't do squat but squat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when do you have kids?

    It's 30$ for the entire weekend for a single adult...

    You should be able to guess who.... smirks.

    ReplyDelete