Monday 27 February 2012

It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

I am the Warden!!

OK, maybe the word "pimp" is a bit of a harsh comparison and was clearly used to get your attention, but to me it's incredibly valid. When you look at the meme going around and adapted to nearly every profession you can think of (including an awesome look at how everyone in the Star Wars universe perceives Darth Vader), take a peek at the top left. I wouldn't go so far as to say my friends all think that because I'd like to think they're all insanely jealous of me. And it'd be a nice change of pace because no one's jealous of the friend who's a retail manager. No one. But I would change the top left to "What my neighbours think I do." Hence the pimp comparison.

For the past year-and-a-half, I've been home recovering from the accident and utilizing my time building the Optional System. That was done casually, in between doses of Oxycontin and physiotherapy and Family Guy, never anything solid with locked down hours and a schedule. Now it's time to buckle down and take this work super serious... but not too serious. I'm working on a game, for crying out loud. If I'm not having fun making a game, what the fuck's the point?

Killshot is more real than ever. Now there's money and backers involved, a group of people anxiously (once again, from my point of view) awaiting its arrival and every single update for their participation. Six months from now, I plan to sit on my couch and flip through the pages of Killshot: The Director's Cut with pride, incessantly showing off my work to my fiancee until she forces me to close the book and let her watch her show in peace. It's time to get serious and I'm ready for it. So serious that I even changed into a proper pair of pants instead of my usual jogging pants.

Over the next few months, I plan to keep everyone - backers and potential buyers - updated on every ounce of progress this project makes until it's on the shelves. For those of you interested in the process, regardless of the reasons, you can follow Killshot's step-by-step evolution on my Twitter account (@Warden_Op) and this blog right here. And it probably makes sense there'll be stuff on the Broken Ruler Games blog too.

The real trick will be overcoming all the potential distractions surrounding me at every minute of every hour of every day. As a result of my accident, I have serious concentration problems and luckily found listening to classical music or movie soundtracks helps keep me focused and block out anything in the background. On top of the massive work load I have ahead of me, there are still numerous medical appointments I have to keep up as I deal with the lingering pain and cognitive issues and still be a provider for my family. You know what, the more I write about these distractions, the more I realize I'm being distracted just thinking about everything, so I'm going to cut this post right here and get to work.

Starting now. Now. NOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment